Brown Bear Watching in the Wild
We offer you the opportunity to see and admire the brown bears in their own habitat from a specially designed observation hide in the Transilvanian forest.
- 45 euro/person
- daily between April 15 - October 15
The package includes:
- transfer from Brasov to the bear hide and back
- access into the restricted wildilfe area
- services of a Forest Ranger to accompany you to the bear hide and back, also for your protection, the forest ranger could carry a gun for extreme situations
- photo tax - only for personal use
- photo tax - for professional use; available for extra price
- any meal
- tips / gratuities
Group Size: min. 2 people
Guaranteed departures: daily between April 15 - October 15
On request: for the rest of the year
Meeting point: The History Museum Piata Sfatului Square. You will be advised on the exact starting time and availability after you have booked the trip. Returning time is after 9:00 pm.
Our guide holds the sign Meeting Point GUARANTEED DEPARTURES DAY TOURS.
Important: You have to make the booking 1 day in advance until 8 PM!
Duration 3 - 4 hours.
Rate: 45 euro/person (minimum 2 people, for 1 person the rate is as for 2 people)
Brown bears (Ursus arctos) have a large global distribution which reflects their ability to adapt to a variety of habitats. The brown bear's principal range includes parts of Russia, India, China, Canada, the United States (mostly Alaska), Scandinavia and the Carpathian region (especially Romania). There are estimated to be more than 200.000 brown bears worldwide, with approximately 5.500 individuals in the Carpathian region of Romania. They are amongst the largest living carnivores and can grow to an enormous size, males up to 350kg, and females to 200kg. Adult males tend to be on average 8 to 10% larger than females. They have good hearing, an excellent sense of smell and can live for up to 30 years.
We offer you the opportunity to see and admire the brown bears in their own habitat from a specially designed observation hide in the Transilvania forest.
The forest ranger takes you in the forest, on a mountain path, walking for a few hundred meters to the hide where you wait quietly for wildlife watching (walking time aprox. 20 minutes). There are high chances (statistically more then 80%) to spot the Carpathian Brown Bear, sometimes a female with her cubs, sometimes a larger male bear, but you can also spot the wildboar, roe deer and red dear, wolves, linx and even some game birds.
Note: we cannot guarantee 100% that you will be able to see any of the wildlife listed above. Do not forget that wildlife have their own way of living and we, humans, try to approach them as much as possible in their natural habitat.
Please use normal clothing - do not dress up with bright colors.
Do NOT use any parfume.
Do NOT bring any food with you.
- Your local contact is Active Travel Day Tours on 0040728804952.
- Please note: Complimentary pick-up is offered for this tour/activity. If you require this service you must contact Active Travel Day Tours at
- Locally on 0040728804952
- By email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please be ready at least 10 minutes prior to departure time.